Monday, September 12, 2011

Land Trip - Europe (Day 29: Warsaw, Poland)

29 Aug 2011 (Day 29)
Time difference: 6 hours behind Singapore.

6am. Reached the capital of Poland and went to get train tickets for Krakow on the same night. Since I wasn't staying overnight in Warsaw, I put my HUGE Haversack in a locker at the train station. It costs me 12 Zloty (Polish currency).

I needed to get information to explore Warsaw and I didn't have a hostel to get maps and information. So I went to the Marriott Hotel, just opposite the train station, and pretended I was staying there and asked for information! And got maps too! Talk about resourcefulness!

The Marriott Hotel staff recommended the best Money Exchange in the city and I took their Metro to get there. The Money Exchange was in a office building and it wasn't open until 9am. It was 7:50am when I got there. Rested at the lobby and used their free wi-fi.

Went to the Old Town after buying Polish Zloty.
Walked and explored more of Warsaw.
(Warsaw Uprising Monument)
(Ruin of Pawiak Prison Gate)
After leaving Pawiak Prison, I walked to the Jewish Cemetery. It was quite a long walk and along the way, I saw a salon at a residential area and decided that I should cut my hair. The hairdresser didn't speak much English and even after showing her a picture of how I wanted my hair to be cut, she couldn't do it. So it became shorter and shorter and shorter...

On the way back to the train station, I walked past Carrefour and bought half a chicken for myself. It was probably the cheapest good dinner for my trip so far. I had no place to eat the chicken properly so I sat at a bench outside a shopping mall and devoured the chicken (half of it at least).
(My new haircut. Eating my dinner along the street.)
It really took me some time to get used to my new haircut. Each time I looked at the mirror, I had to look at myself for a few more seconds before I could wash my hands!

My train to Krakow was at 1:30am and I waited at a nearby shopping mall until it was closed at 11pm. Then I waited in the train station for 2 hours. It was a bad experience because it was dark, smelly and cold. There were a few homeless people there trying to sleep and the Station Officers kept chasing them away. Was tired but couldn't sleep. 

The train was delayed and had to wait again at the platform. 

When it came, I was happy to leave the station and off I went to Krakow, Poland!

After walking the city of Warsaw for the whole day, MY LIFE WAS NEVER, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...............EEEE...........................EEVER, THE SAME, AGAIN!!!

No comments: